"All we have of freedom, all we use or know - This our fathers bought for us long and long ago." - Rudyard Kipling





Sunday, August 8, 2010

Is being "moral" old fashioned ?

So I'm surfing over at iOwntheworld.com, and I come across an article about teenage girls exposing themselves, excuse me, flashing in public and a 30 something male is arrested for taking pictures of them. The question posed by an admin was: what's your opinion of this?
The arguments get hot and heavy concerning the law, whether 15 year olds are really children, etc. About 100 comments in I'm wondering why the idea of morality and "common" decency hasn't been brought up?
I made this comment:

We started this country as a nation of laws. But there was also an unwritten, but generally agreed upon standard of decency and moral obligation. For better or for worse, the laws have become relaxed, and decency and morality have been relegated to the ash-heap in favor of modernity.
Am I some kind of standard bearer for this decency?
Nope. I was a child of the 60's, and I stood warming my hands at the bonfire of "old fashioned values" like so many others.
But I think we lost something in our rush to free ourselves from antiquated notions like God, and shame, and modesty. We "progressed". We progressed to talking about 15 year old girls baring themselves in public. We're smarter, more hip, more sophisticated. We are a progressive nation.

And we are a poorer country for it.


I got mainly favorable votes for the comment, but this morning I had to ask myself: Did I come off as being a pompous ass? Am I just a kill-joy?

But I was truly bothered by the fact that no one seemed to think that this was unusual, and that no one seemed concerned about the very act of these girls, or the 30 something's response. Most were just concerned with whether the man should be charged as a sex offender. (And whether the girls had nice boobs.) Not whether the whole incident should be thought of as shameful and indecent.

I'm really feeling old today. Like a man who's time has passed...

1 comment:

innominatus said...

I saw that thread and had to throw my sarcastic $.02 in the comments there. What amazed me was how vile some people got when trying to defend their positions on the issue, as though there was something there worth defending.