"All we have of freedom, all we use or know - This our fathers bought for us long and long ago." - Rudyard Kipling





Friday, March 12, 2010

Education is cool!

I learned a new word today from SarahK today. I'm pretty sure she's a girl, but different somehow. Kinda grown up an' stuff. I know there's a word for that, but it fails me at the moment. Guess that will be my word for tomorrow. Anyway she's pretty nice for someone that's online. A rare quality nowadays.
In the mean time, my new word:


"Slattern"

slat·tern 
Pronunciation: \ˈsla-tərn\
Function: noun
Etymology: probably from German schlottern to hang loosely, slouch; akin to Dutch slodderen to hang loosely, slodder slut
Date: circa 1639
: an untidy slovenly woman; also : slut, prostitute


It doesn't sound as naughty as those other words, or leave a nasty taste in my mouth after saying it. I now vow this to use in place of those others...

"Get those slatterns off the street! There's a politician coming to town!"

"Don't drive down that street at night where the kids can see - the slatterns come out and just stand there."

"Nancy Pelosi wanted to be a slattern when she grew up, but wasn't qualified. She then turned to her second choice..."


"Bill Clinton's in town! Hide the slatterns!"

Yep, I can see this word becoming a regular part of my vocabulary.
Thanks, SarahK.

No comments: